Are you looking to softmod your Nintendo Wii? You have come to the right place, my simple guide below will take you from having an unmodified Nintendo Wii (Any firmware version) to having a console with much more capabilities such as running Emulators, Homebrew Applications, USB Game Loaders, Etc.
|The Homebrew Channel (HBC)|
What is softmodding?
I think this text from Wikipedia sums it up well, “A softmod is a method of using software to modify the intended behaviour of hardware, such as video cards, sound cards, or game consoles in a way that can overcome restrictions of the firmware, or install custom firmware.”.
Many people would previously install a modchip (Hardware) to their Wii console which would allow them to run backup copies of their games but a softmod will allow you to do this without any hardware modification. However without any software restrictions on the console you can also install homebrew applications and games, this includes emulators for classic consoles for example and media players that are not available on an unmodded console.
Softmodding a console does not cause any issues with current games you own, nor will any of your console data such as game saves be removed. Online play of games and gaming with friends also remains unchanged.
What is required?
For my guide, you will require the following things;
- An internet connection.
- A spare SD card, 1GB minimum recommended.
- A computer system running Microsoft Windows.
Step 1 : Doing the Softmod
- Starting on the Wii, ensure it is connected to your internet connection and install the latest software update. This is done from the Wii settings screen.
- Once the Wii is updated, go back into the Wii settings screen and note the version shown at the top right, IE – 4.3e. Remember this for an upcoming step.
- Within the Wii settings screen, select Internet and then Console Settings. Take a note of the console MAC Address.
- Power off the Wii and switch to your computer, insert the SD card and format it as FAT32.
- Visit the following website; https://please.hackmii.com
- Select the system menu version you noted from Step 2.
- Enter your MAC Address noted in Step 3 and then the verification code. Click the option to cut either the red or blue wire, when prompted save the ZIP file to your desktop.
- Go to your desktop, extract the ZIP file and copy it’s contents to the root of your SD card.
- Safely eject the SD card and insert to the currently powered off Wii.
- Power on the Wii as normal and select the messages option at the bottom right of the screen.
- Press – to go back one day, look for a red envelope with a bomb on it. If you don’t see this, go back another day.
- Select the red envelope, this is the exploit that will allow us to hack your Wii by installing the Homebrew Channel (HBC).
- Follow the steps shown on screen, install the Homebrew Channel and quit once done.
- This will take you to the Homebrew Channel – press the Wii button and return to the system menu.
- You’ll notice now the Homebrew Channel is available as a channel on your Wii – you can now consider your Wii as softmodded. The next steps will support you in the rest of the work.
Step 2 : Install IOS, cIOS & Homebrew Apps using ModMii
- Back to the computer, pop in the SD card and format it again as FAT32.
- Download ModMii from https://modmii.zzl.org
- Install ModMii.
- When prompted select ModMii Wizard + Guide.
- If asked if this is the first time softmodding your Wii, select No.
- Follow the steps by selecting your Wii type, remain at 4.3 firmware.
- When asked select as many of the Wii channels as you wish.
- At the next screen select the following options;
System Menu Theme (If you wish to change appearance of channel screen)
Active IOSs and patched System Menu IOSs
You don’t need to select the Homebrew Channel as we’ve just installed it.
- Select “HDD already ether WBFS or FAT32 + Don’t want to change”. This can be done later.
- When asked, install Configurable USB-Loader. This has always worked well for me.
- Selec thte option to save USB-Loader App, Covers & Config to SD Card at the moment.
- Leave the default directory set for files to SD Card.
- Once you reach the end of the Wizard, select Finish.
ModMii will now download various files for the options we select and will generate an installation guide for us. Once it completed the ModMii window will close. The time required will vary depending on your internet connection speed.
- Now lets open the directory ModMii put the files into, on my system it was C:ModMiiCOPY_TO_SD.
- Copy all the files within this folder to the root of your SD card.
- Within this folder there will be an installation guide HTML file – open this and follow the instructions exactly.
- Once you’ve completed the steps in the guide – the work is done. You can delete the WAD files from the SD card but as they are required to uninstall, keep a copy on your computer should you need to uninstall anything.