You may have read recently that 8Bitdo released a major firmware update for their controllers that allows full compatibility with the Nintendo Switch. Unsure on how to go about updating the firmware on your controller? Don’t worry – I’ve got your back!
What you’ll need!
- The controller, ideally charged.
- Micro USB Cable.
- Internet Connection.
Easy as 1-2-3-4-5-6-7!
- Head to the 8Bitdo website and select Support (Too lazy? Click here!) then select Firmware.
- Find your controller on the list and click the Download link next to the desired firmware.
- Extract the ZIP file you just downloaded and open the extracted folder.
- Open the Update Tools folder, select your Operating System from the list and launch the 8Bitdo Update application.
- Follow the instructions to put the controller into an update-able state. Note the Update button is unavailable.
- Connect the controller to your system.
- Click the Update button and await confirmation of the update — Done!
What is an 8Bitdo Controller?
8Bitdo design and manufacture gaming controllers that are perfect replicas of those issued with classic Nintendo consoles such as the NES, SNES and N64. I got an SFC30 (European SNES) controller for my birthday a couple of years back and no words can describe how great it feels to use for retro gaming. The controllers are outstanding quality and come with a number of connection options – they can be used for example as a bluetooth controller on iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, Nintendo Wii and Wii U, Nintendo Switch and as a USB controller with the cable too. Anyone with even the slightest interest in retro gaming should have one in their home.